Thursday, April 18, 2019

2020 Charm

Some people have it easy, but not your blogger. 

04-18-2019


Mr. Hart:

I have a downtown “walking tour” I don’t think Charlie Brennan over at KMOX wants to see. Closed business after closed business, plus we can all see the unique and maybe historically significant buildings. They are being snapped up by the Church of Scientology, according to someone who would know.

I thought Blueberry Hill’s Joe Edwards (BHJE) and the National Geospatial Agency (NGA) were the lucky owners of most real estate in the river city. Why not help me tell the kids it is Washington “Avenue,” not “Washington Street” where I saw four trendy storefronts in a row all closed. Seems the “anchor” restaurant wanted $59.99 for a bowl of mac cheese, a price not even Bay Area androids would pay.

The nearby closed convenience store was plastered with signs that barked:

DO NOT BE HERE
DO NOT LINGER HERE
DO NOT DRINK HERE
DO NOT IGNORE THESE SIGNS OR THE LICENSCE COLLECTOR WILL PUT YOU IN JAIL

How about a new one that says: DO NOT LEASE A LOFT HERE OR A NEGRO WINO MIGHT PEE ON YOU

Another sure sign of “civic progress?”

An old, faded sign down the same block says “Good Food.” As for the shop next door that is alive and in business, I would have to find someone under 30 to tell me what they are doing or selling. Perhaps I should put up a cool neon sign that makes no sense and charge money for advice within, much like my days at BJC Behavioral Health. They too are moving away from 1430 Olive downtown.

_William Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment