Thursday, January 24, 2019

Random Click...And what Mafia movie are you talking about?


05.12.2018

Dear Ashley –

What a difference a year makes, as poverty prevented me from seeing the Atomic Homefront documentary at the same theater where I saw Rocky Horror Picture Show while under the influence of “weed” any Californian would throw away today. Later in life, I begged my housemate not to play that Meatloaf album on my humongous stereo. He worked for General Dynamics and Boeing, then he died.

Let us not perseverate on my last name. For God’s sake, let’s make a movie! I’ve only been trying since 1998. I got a Final Draft 5.0 registration number that year, then finished my book on the mental health system a dozen agents and three publishers liked, but…what’s my name? I don’t get a fair shake in the USA, except from Italian opera singers in Thousand Oaks. I was also at the Borders book store in Simi Valley, back when we were allowed to purchase books. Has Don Trump burned them all up yet?

As my late dad would say, “I fear for our country.”

How about this for absurdity? A producer offered me money and an appointment—in 2015! Another industry big wig has twice offered appointments. The problem remains my inability to get out of this motel room. It’s much like that movie about a guy stuck in an airport released about the same time I was stuck in LA’s Union Station. A mysterious Swiss woman paid my train fare, only to be shunned and ridiculed in my home town of St. Louis, Missouri. Maybe you would be brave enough to come here and effect the Ventura County “rescue.”  We could go see tacky tourist traps and annoy the local media who need a Compton quality ass kicking.

From what little I know about Ms. Ellison, I think she’d love my campy but magnetic female spy character RITA, who was named after the street where I created her. The street address? 9-1-1, and I can prove it! Ask Not is a tale of terror, but of course when Rita is killed by a bad guy who dresses like a Rabbi, I left wiggle room to bring her back for a sequel and make more money. This one actually has a copyright registration, which has made two Intellectual property lawyers happy, but not me. How about my totally unprotected Screenplay #10, which is a black comedy I should dedicate to whomever is Sheriff of Los Angeles County these days. That job is getting like the Illinois governor post, where first they elect you, then you are tossed in prison. That cannot happen to me with only a $530 pension for my hard work as “The Man in the White Coat” for Missouri’s Department of Mental Health.

This Hughes knows “mental” when he sees it. Due to this factor, few fake friends from “The Valley” have stayed in touch. However, I have located my loyal assistants Jill & Rachel. When I hire them and they both dress in black clothing, we shall have it going on, I predict. I promised them three times their teacher and psychologist salaries, so after everyone is paid, of course we all know the writer lives in his car with a Wal Mart sleeping bag for company.

Thanks for the memories,

William C. Hughes
[Writer, psychotherapist, and no slave to fashion] 


05.24.2017


Dear Ashley –

I was pleasantly surprised you answered—no infernal voice mail. I heard of your film when an activist I know referred me to a man who has done much research in opposition to the landfill. As I noted on the phone, my parents knew what was there in 1965! Thus, it was O.K. to play in and around MALINE CREEK but not COLDWATER CREEK.

How did they know? Both of them worked at a Federal Records Center. When dad was in the Navy and the Manhattan Project chugged on, mom could take a look and I do not think either did anything criminal, yet they were treated as if they had.

HUGHES—the name was a problem for them, and for me in Los Angeles. In Ventura County, they have an odd usage of the word “friend.” Given you used the word “dialog” I hope we can have one, because I cannot reside in cheap motels like a fleeing felon with an excellent and still timely book manuscript on the 9/11 attacks. As for the movie producers who extended invitations to meet, I’m in the mood for what they call a “Walk away deal.”

Why keep hitting stone walls regarding politics? I’m 61, and understand the beefs & angst of 21 year-olds. Yes, the long hair stayed, and my name is the reason I have no photo from college or of mom. Too many people in LA wanted to talk about movies, aircraft, rockets, spacecraft, and defense industry secrets, yet not one dollar was earned. A homeless chum out there used to say, “You’ve made a friend today” so I hope I did and I will call you Thursday after my discussion with a Green Party guy.

I’d like to talk about your film. I made them in grade school on 8mm and in high school moved up to 16mm film. Where did they go? That’s always the question in Saint Louis.


Thanks for the info,



William C. Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment