Sunday, August 19, 2018

Tuesday Lunch With LBJ

Your family too?
Doubtful.

"In a private cable to the White House I described the rapidly deteriorating situation and expressed my particular concern about Diem. 'President Diem is living in a world of his own and seems to be completely out of touch with the real situation. Any attractive South Vietnamese brigadier general with a little courage and organization could, I believe, take this place over in twenty-four hours.' I recommended that President Kennedy send an individual in whom he had personal confidence unobtrusively but immediately to Vietnam to make an independent analysis. I specifically recommended Thomas Hughes, Director of INR. Although my emergency cable was the occasion for a series of high-level meetings, nothing came of it."

_Chester Bowles, commenting on his July, 1963 cable

Number Kooks?

350 was the number of State Department employees in Tom Hughes’ INR
350K was the amount paid by C.I.A. to toss Allende in Chile
350 was my “rent” at two St. Louis drug dealing addresses


I think somebody is in deep doo-doo, and no wonder the woman from Santiago was so friendly in Thousand Oaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment