Friday, October 26, 2018

Country Joe and the Flush

"I'll give you forty thousand dollars and a Mel Carnahan clue later."


SAIGON CURFEW – It seems I was often taken to granny’s to hear certain discussions, when I thought I was there to watch college football on ABC and drink a Dr. Pepper. (The glass bottle with a bottle cap requiring a bottle opener is probably collectable today). The family either had ESP or somehow knew a new or provisional government in South Vietnam might impose a curfew as their army picked up and ran. (Formal surrender? They did not think so at granny’s). This clampdown that would interfere with assembling Americans and their best South Vietnamese friends was anticipated by the uncles as early as 1968 or so. When I heard “What if they impose a curfew?” I thought this referred to my juvenile delinquent pals. I also heard plenty more about restricting movement of people when it was time to go. This is noted in the CIA account I just read, went on for three days, and then the fat was chewed postgame on this with step-uncles on how “They couldn’t get out” to assembly points to be evacuated off many rooftops. I was again permitted to drive and distinctly recall saying, “Keep that joint down!” which makes me detest Jerry Brown and all supporters of marijuana. It is just not good for you, and as for a 19 year-old brain, thank God it was not that strong in 1974.          



No comments:

Post a Comment